Precautions And Contraindications
These are some points of caution to take into consideration before you do this asana.
- If you find it difficult or uncomfortable to place your head on the floor, you can use a pillow for comfort.
- It is best to avoid doing this asana if you are suffering from diarrhea or knee injuries.
- Patients with high blood pressure must avoid practicing this asana.
If you are a beginner, these few pointers will help you in your practice.
- It is not a common practice to breathe fully and consciously upto the back of our torso. Practicing the Balasana the right way will help you do that.
- As you begin the practice of yoga, you can practice this asana to get you ready for a deep forward bend.
To try a variation of this asana, you can also place your hands beside your body, alongside your torso, with your palms facing upwards. This will increase the relaxation quotient in the asana.
The Benefits Of Balasana (Child Pose)
- It helps release tension in the chest, back, and shoulders.
- This asana is highly recommended, especially if you have a bout of dizziness or fatigue during the day or during your workout.
- This asana helps to reduce stress and anxiety.
- It helps to massage and flex the internal organs in the body, keeping them active and supple.
- This asana helps to stretch and lengthen the spine.
- If this asana is done with support on the head and the torso, it relieves pain in the lower back and neck.
- It helps to stretch the ankles, hips, and thighs.
- It promotes blood circulation all throughout the body.
- The tendons, muscles, and ligaments in the knee area are thoroughly stretched.
- It encourages the right way of breathing and calms both the body and the mind.
The Science Behind The Child Pose
The Balasana is a restorative, calming pose that relaxes and rejuvenates the body. The stretch in the back relaxes the spinal column. It calms the muscles, thereby helping to alleviate pain, especially in back, neck, and shoulders. The knees are also stretched and relaxed, and therefore, the tendons, muscles, as well as joints are healed and made ready for functioning. The pose resembles a fetal position and is said to provide physical, mental, and emotional solace to the being.