Do you love to have a lean body but can’t stop snacking? We are sailing on the same boat. But what if I told you about the nut that can satiate your craving for snacks and at the same time help you lose weight? Sounds too good to be true? Read on to believe it. If you are trying to lose weight, pistachios are the best snack. And that’s because pistachios not only taste great but are also rich in fiber, protein, and unsaturated fats (healthy fats). The healthy fats help reduce inflammation in the body and also increase the satiety levels, thereby keeping your hunger pangs at bay. But these are not the only reasons why we recommend pistachios. In this detailed article, we present scientific evidence about the effect of pistachios for weight loss and on human health that will open new doors for you. Let’s begin!
Pistachios For Weight Loss
- A study was published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition on the role of this green nut in weight loss. The scientists divided the participants into two groups, and each group was allowed to eat 500 calories less than their resting metabolic rate. One group consumed salted pistachios, and the other group consumed salted pretzels. Both the groups lost weight, but the group that consumed pistachios recorded a significantly lower level of triglyceride as compared to the other group (1).
- In another study conducted by American and Chinese scientists on people with metabolic syndrome, it was found that consumption of 42 g to 70 g pistachios did not lead to weight gain. In fact, they also concluded that pistachio consumption might reduce the health risks related to metabolic syndrome (2).
- Research conducted on Mid Western University students by Honselman et al. found that students who chose in-shell pistachios consumed about 86 calories fewer than those who chose shelled pistachios. The scientists concluded that this difference in calorie consumption could be because in-shell pistachios took time to shell and the number of the in-shell nuts was perceived to be larger (3). The shells also gave the participants a visual cue of how much pistachios they have consumed thereby making them eat fewer nuts than those who chose in-shell pistachios (4).
- Pistachios are rich in mono, and polyunsaturated fats which help to reduce glucose levels post meals. This, in turn, can fight diabetes, improve metabolism, help regulate blood pressure, control blood sugar levels, and reduce inflammation (5).
- Scientists have also found that regular consumption of pistachios reduced the risk of stroke, heart disease, deterioration of diabetic condition in diabetic adults (6).
- Finally, consuming pistachios can also increase exercise performance, reduce exercise-induced inflammation and oxidative stress (7).
Bottom line—consume in-shell pistachios when you feel like snacking. Consuming pistachios will not lead to weight gain. Instead, it can indirectly help you lose weight by making you feel fuller, reducing inflammation and triglyceride levels, accelerating metabolism, and reducing oxidative stress. Now, let’s find out how much pistachios you should consume to help you reach your weight loss goals.